Early in his career, David developed a lasting interest in plain writing and information design.
This led to a focus on many projects involving how clearer writing and design can create a better world, including a paper for the Prime Minister’s office on a system to republish the laws of Canada using plain writing and design.
Proudly, as of Spring 2011, the first legislation has been published following our recommendations. Though many comprises had to occur along the way, we’re proud to have reach this point. Here is one example of the legislation published in the new format. You can see more by visiting http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/.
Notable assignments involving plain design include:
- Growing Forward/ Environment Farm Plan for Ontario Soil & Crop Improvement Association / OMAFRA / Agriculture Canada
- Research and development of wording for toxicity messaging for tobacco packaging for Health Canada
- Pilot project for the redesign of Canadian legislation, for Justice Canada, including design and usability testing, resulting in the first pieces of legislation published inthenew format in Spring 2011
- Publications for the Region of Ottawa-Carleton and the Ontario Literacy Coalition
- Forms redesign for the Growing Your Farm Profits program, Government of Ontario
- Keynote speeches, training, and presentations in many cities, including for Aalto University in Helsinki on plain language and clearer legislation design
- Many projects regarding Web Accessibility and plain writing, for governments and private sector, in 4 countries.
Reviewed October 4, 2011